In this episode of Autism Parenting Secrets, Len and Cass interview Dr. Stephen Cowan and discuss the secret that your child with Autism is your teacher.
Dr. Cowan talks about the importance of looking at the “how” as opposed to the “why” when supporting your child with Autism, as this allows you to focus on the unique gifts in your child. This is a cornerstone of keeping a growth mindset. On the other hand, a fixed mindset tends to isolate symptoms or takes the symptoms out of context rather than looking at them within a holistic framework.
The goal here is to shift your perspective so that the parent takes on the role of student, allowing them to discover their child’s gifts. A doctor can only offer clinical insights, but a parent taking the time to become a student of their child offers a clearer understanding of individual needs and a broader picture.
This kind of student and teacher relationship empowers your child to reveal further information that will help you meet their needs and harness their gifts. It becomes an equally beneficial opportunity for the parent and child to thrive.
The real warrior parents are the ones who recognize and acknowledge that they’re the experts on their own child because they allow their child to teach them.
- Looking at the “how” as opposed to the “why” is a more practical approach when dealing with your child’s autism (2:40)
- Why medical professionals are sometimes causing more harm than good (5:30)
- Growth vs. fixed mindset (7:47)
- How to develop a thriving relationship with your child (9:12)
- What to do to become a better caregiver (11:25)
- Real Warrior Parents are the ones who recognize and acknowledge that they’re the experts on their own child (17:50)
Click here to learn more about Dr. Stephen Cowan
For additional information about Tournesol Kids
For more information on Dr. Cowan’s book, Fire Child, Water Child: How Understanding the Five Types of ADHD Can Help You Improve Your Child’s Self-Esteem and Attention
To learn more about Cass & Len, visit us at www.autismparentingsecrets.com
Be sure to follow us on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/warriorparentcoaching/
Check it out…Autism Parenting Secrets is number 12 on the Top 20 Autism Podcasts by Feedspot👉 https://blog.feedspot.com/autism_podcasts/