Welcome to Episode 96 of the Autism Parenting Secrets.
This week we’re focusing on your sensory processing and we’re honored to have Carol Stock Kranowitz as our guest.
Carol is the author of The Out of Sync Child first published in 1998. It’s THE sensory guidebook for parents on how to understand and help their child with sensory challenges.
This is Part 2 of our discussion. See Episode 93 for Part 1.
This episode focuses on how changes in the last few decades have increased sensory processing differences in children, compelling Carol to write a new third edition of her seminal book.
The Out of Sync Child, Third Edition was released a few days before this episode. It’s more relevant than ever.
The secret this week is… Your Child Can Get IN-SYNC
- What Temple Grandin Thinks is the #1 Problem People With Autism Face (2:20)
- What To Look For In An OT (Occupational Therapist) (5:06)
- What Is Proprioception And Why We Need It All The Time (6:47)
- Why We Need To Get Our Kids Moving (13:40)
- Sensory Differences Can Be Celebrated (x:xx)
- The “Look-Alikes” (19:38)
- Why You Need Sensory Spectacles (22:04)
About Our Guest
While teaching preschoolers for 25 years, Carol Stock Kranowitz became interested in children who respond to ordinary sensations in different ways. Some are over-responsive and avoid sensations; others don’t notice sensations or crave sensations. Some children are clumsy, tripping on air. Many children with these characteristics have autism; most are anxious and have low self-esteem. Curious, Carol studied sensory integration and processing and then set out to introduce Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) to parents and educators around the world. The first book in her “Sync” series is The Out-of-Sync Child, which has been translated into many languages including Spanish (El Niño Desincronizado), has sold one million copies, and is now in its 3rd edition. With Joye Newman, Carol has developed the In-Sync Child method through a 10-part webinar series and their award-winning publications, Growing an In-Sync Child, the In-Sync Child Activity Cards, and A Year of Mini-Moves for the In-Sync Child. Carol graduated from Barnard College of Columbia University and earned her M.A. in Education and Human Development, focusing on special education, from The George Washington University. She lives in Bethesda, Maryland, and has five grandchildren.
References in This Episode:
- The Out-of-Sync Child, Third Edition: Recognizing and Coping with Sensory Processing Differences (The Out-of-Sync Child Series)
- Autism Parenting Secrets Episode 36 – We Need Autism with Dr. Zach Bush
- Free Resource: 33 Mistakes Most Autism Parents Make and How To Avoid Them
- To learn more about Cass & Len’s All-In Warrior Parent Tribe, click here
- Got a Picky Eater? – this can help
- To learn more about Cass & Len, visit us at www.autismparentingsecrets.com
- Be sure to follow Cass & Len on Instagram
If you enjoyed this episode, share it with your friends.
Don’t forget to subscribe to the show on Apple Podcasts to get automatic episode updates for our “Autism Parenting Secrets!”
And, finally, please take a minute to leave us an honest review and rating on Apple Podcasts.
They really help us out when it comes to the ranking of the show and we read every single one of the reviews we get.
Thanks for listening!