Parents of a child with autism are often confused by their child’s behaviors. Things like poor eye contact, spinning objects, inflexibility, and tantrums.
Figuring out what to do, if anything, is a big source of frustration and overwhelm.
Instead of seeing such behaviors as ‘bad’, it’s more helpful to get curious. What’s causing these behaviors? Why is my child doing them?
With awareness and intention, we can get better at noticing the clues that can lead to the root cause. There are scores of possibilities and every child is unique.
This week we focus on one possible root cause that is often overlooked.
Vision is an important and little understood concept. It means more than eyesight.
Are undiagnosed vision issues holding your child back?
The secret for this week is…
VISION Is More Than Meets The Eye
Tune in to learn more.
- The Real Meaning of VISION (3:36)
- Why BINOCULARITY Matters So Much (5:38)
- The Most Nutritionally Demanding Organ of the Body (7:13)
- Why Vision Therapy Can’t Be Overlooked (12:41)
- A Big Red Flag You Can’t Miss (134:30)
- Visual Symptoms to Look Out For (18:54)
- A Non-Obvious Reason for Poor Eye Contact (28:57)
- The Common Condition That Can Be Mistaken for Learning Disabilities (36:50)
- The Type Of Corrective Lenses You DON’T Want (40:20)
- The Exact Type of Eye Professional You Want (42:05)
- When Insurance Covers Vision Therapy (46:50)
- The Relationship Between Motor and Vision (51:35)
- A Great Way To Improve Flexibility (56:15)
About Our Guest:
- Patricia Lemer
- Outsmarting Autism, Updated and Expanded: Build Healthy Foundations for Communication, Socialization, and Behavior at All Ages by Patricia Lemer
- The Autism Detectives podcast
References in This Episode:
- Locate a Developmental Optometrist
- Autism Parenting Secrets Episode 20 – The Sequence Truly Matters
- Infant See Screening
- The Hidden Link Between Vision and Learning: Why Millions of Learning-Disabled Children Are Misdiagnosed, Wendy Beth Rosen
- Thinking Goes to School: Piaget’s Theory in Practice, Dr. Harry Wachs and Hans Furth
- Fixing My Gaze: A Scientist’s Journey Into Seeing in Three Dimensions, Susan R. Barry
- Sue Barry Fixing My Gaze TedX Talk
- Sound Medicine: How to Use the Ancient Science of Sound to Heal the Body and Mind, Kulreet Chaudhary M.D.
- Free Resource: 33 Mistakes Most Autism Parents Make and How To Avoid Them
- To learn more about Cass & Len’s All-In Warrior Parent Tribe, click here
- Got a Picky Eater? – this can help
- To learn more about Cass & Len, visit us at www.autismparentingsecrets.com
- Be sure to follow Cass & Len on Instagram
If you enjoyed this episode, share it with your friends.
Don’t forget to subscribe to the show on Apple Podcasts to get automatic episode updates for our “Autism Parenting Secrets!”
And, finally, please take a minute to leave us an honest review and rating on Apple Podcasts.
They really help us out when it comes to the ranking of the show and we read every single one of the reviews we get.
Thanks for listening!